Friday, May 15, 2009

Learning Flexibility

What a day! Right now I'm semi settled into my host family's home. My luggage will be picked up tomorrow at 10 AM, so it'll be quite a long time since I've changed clothes... although everybody understands.

My "mom" is named Sharon. She works as some sort of consultant, from her home. I'm rooming with a girl named Megan, who is from Toronto, Canada. She's been in Africa from February, and is staying for another 6 weeks. She was actually supposed to leave today, but decided that she couldn't go yet.

I wonder if I can stay abroad for that long, in a place so far from home. I understand maybe studying abroad in Europe, but Africa is so different. Europe is more similar to America, if you know what I mean. But I know for sure that I can stay for a month here better than a couple years ago. 10 days in Trinidad and Tobago was very hard for me. But I'm much more comfortable now, less spoiled in a way. I'm OK with the bathrooms, the different food. I'm so glad I went to T.and.T even though it was a hard trip for me.

So I signed up for the orphanage program, but they had me down for teaching. I was confused at first, because they hadn't honored my request for orphanage work. But when I talked to Megan, I found out the school I'm helping out at, New Fedeli, is severely understaffed. My heart reached out for those children, and I've decided to stay. I'll be able to teach math and science, basically anything I want. It'll be a great experience, and it'll help me gather stories for my future job.

The ironic part about this trip is that I've met someone from my home area here. She actually went to Stevenson Higschool. She's also Korean, and her name is Rebecca. What a small world! I didn't expect to meet anyone from home, much less some one from Stevenson, and even much less, someone Korean. It's cool, but ironic.

I pray for Megan, because she's got a mild strain of Malaria. I just found out that the weekly pills I've gotten for myself are not as good, but I hope and pray for my own health. I'm so thankful that I've gotten here safely, and that at least my luggage is found and on its way.

Over the weekend, I'm going to get my "mom" more and get to know my way around. Hopefully it won't be too muddy on the roads, although I don't mind.

I also picked up some more swahili

sawa means OK
asanti means Thank you

Tonight will be my first experience sleeping in a mosquito net. I don't want to get Malaria. Take care everyone.

Becky

1 comment:

  1. Funny how God placed you into a teaching position. I'm sure the students will love you :)

    ReplyDelete