Sunday, May 3, 2009

10 Day Count Down

I can't believe there's only 10 more days until I leave for Kenya. This seems so surreal--I'm going to be in AFRICA!!!!



Kenya has always held a mystical place in my heart. Not only have I known many people who have volunteered in Kenya, all the elite distance runners hail from here. Of course, I do not expect to see or meet any of them, but the fact that I'll be on the same ground that they train on is amazing.



I'm kind of scared. This isn't going to be the first time away from home or living away from friends and family, but this is going to be the first time I'll be alone in a foreign country. Thankfully one of the official languages is English, but I don't know much of Swahili other than "Jambo", which means "hello". I hope I can pick up at least some Swahili, even though a month is a very short time to learn a language.

Meanwhile, I have a life to finish up and smooth off before I leave for 4 weeks. I still have finals and classes to conclude, although taking classes at the local community college was a nice break from grueling and stressful academics. I learned a LOT this semester, just in a different way.

I tried to pick out pretty custom layouts and stuff for my blog but I think it's just going to stay this way. My computer is so old, it can't handle firefox and all that. It already feels like I've wasted time looking for programs that'll be compatible for my ancient screen.

Again, I can't believe it's so soon. This trip wasn't as hard to plan since it's by myself, I'm amazed that my finances and schedule is all working out. It means a lot to me, like something that God really wants me to do.

I don't know how often I'll update in Kenya, but this is a good start. I have a lot of feelings leading up to this event, so might as well keep record of it.

In Christ,
Becky

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,

    Long time no talk. I noticed you transferred from IWU to ISU over the winter. What is this trip for? Are you going there all by yourself? You should talk to Abby for any advice, since she was there a couple of summers ago. I believe she still keep in touch with some people. We'll keep you in our prayers. Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Becky,
    I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about your adventures in Kenya! I'm sure you are feeling a little nervous about traveling over there by yourself, but you will have lots of people over here praying for you along the way! :) Hope your finals are going well! Miss you already!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete