Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'M HERE!!!

So after a very long time on uncomfortable plane rides, I have made it into Nairobi, Kenya. I can't believe I'm here!

I'm actually really lucky, because I barely made it to my second plane. I arrived in Heathrow, London at 9:30. I got off the plane at about 9:45, and I got through security at 9:55-- boarding closed at 10 AM. I BARELY made it. Phew! The second plane ride was much more comfortable because there was nobody sitting next to me. It was a three person row, and I met some one who attends Baylor University. She was on her way to Tanzania, for a mission trip.

Although I arrived safely to Kenya, apparently my luggage has not. I'm going on past 48 hours without brushing my teeth, which is a first. I really hope the luggage comes in tonight. It's kind of embarrassing walking around in my care bears pajama pants, even though I never wore them to go to sleep back at home.

I slept over night at a temporary host home. My "mama host" 's name is Grace. She lives with her cousin, Monica, and orphan named Tony, and her son, Roy. He is so beautiful. Roy is mesmerized my long black hair and glasses. He also tried to eat my bag. I want to take him home with me!

In addition to being somewhat jet lagged, I couldn't sleep past 6:30 AM here because dogs started barking, roosters started crowing, and car alarms started going off from about 3 AM. To be honest, it reminds me about Trinidad and Tobago. A LOT. The houses are the same pastel color, the ruffly curtains. Currently I'm in a nicer area, but I can very well be placed in a much more rustic host home after orientation. I liked how the morning started off, with a bunch of other volunteers getting up because of "nairobi's symphony". I drank a really good cup of Chai Tea and we got to know one another. Two guys are from Utah, one from Ohio just finishing up his first year in medical school. I bunked with a researcher from Boston, and the two that bunked next to me are nurses in Florida. There's another girl from Sweden. Everybody was or is going to be involved with the HIV/ AIDS program here, while the Utah guys and I will be doing orphanage work.

I haven't had a fresh cup of water since going through security at Ohare. We talked a bit comparing bucket showers to cold showers, and such. After using the bathroom, I pleasantly discovered that the water wasn't running in the morning, hence the hand sanitizer next to the sink. It's a lot different from home, but I'm glad I have experience from Trinidad and Tobago. That trip really prepared me for this, I can tell. There's "African Time" here too, just as there is "Korean time" and "Tobaga time".

Orientation is today, which I'm excited about. I want to know where I'll be placed, my host family, and all that. I found out it's 1 shilling per minute to be online, and in the morning, it's actually half a shilling per minute. And about 70 shillings is a dollar. So being online is definitely available.

Well I'm off now, we're supposed to get picked up for orientation pretty soon.

Jambo, every one!
Becky

2 comments:

  1. Don't spend too much money online! Although I love hearing updates :)

    It's crazy to know that you're out there, roosters and all. You make me want to get out there and do some of God's work, too. Miss you! I will be praying!

    --
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, annie, I completely agree with you!

    Becky, I'm so happy that God has prepared you for this trip with your experience in Trinidad and Tobago. You'll do great!

    Ps. its hilarious that the little boy tried to eat your bag!! (made me smile)

    ReplyDelete