Thursday, June 4, 2009

Random Tid bits

I finally went back to school today. The volunteer organization assigned another person to New Franeli!!! Yay! Her name is Robin, or Robyn. She's from Orlando, Florida and goes to University of Central Florida. Podo, there's more of you out there--Robin wants to be a physics teacher!!! =) Crazy people.

I've been able to do some of my own mission work here.

Yesterday I talked to the laundry lady. Meghan and I (aside from being lazy) hire people do our laundry because the money goes directly to the people instead of getting filtered through organizations and stuff. We talked a great deal about her family, her past, her faith in Christ. She gave me Psalm 41. It's beautiful. This was something that I wish I could have done back in Trinidad and Tobago. I wasn't able to muster up the courage to simply make conversation, to see where they are hurting. I have no intention of judgeing or thinking I'm better, I just want them to share their burden.

I also had an idea of doing my own little "As yourself night". The one thing that makes me wonder, is that they expect me to do that here anyways. People come up to me all the time asking me to give them money, that I "owe" them something. As much as it is tiring to keep getting hassled, I want to do that this weekend.

Meghan has just left for Uganda. Now that would have been so cool to go there, but the bus ride is 13 hrs, and I'm in no condition to go traveling another weekend. I've just been sleeping all day because I'm so weak. Sharon and I might do an awareness walk this weekend though.

Ok, this is a short post. But I felt like writing something even if it's not much. Haha, it might actually be a break from my ridiculously long ones. I'll have much to say later. There's some stuff I have to figure out with my schedule for next fall. The genetics class is filled up so I think I'll take physics instead and get it over with. Boo physics! At least there was a spot open...

Becky

1 comment:

  1. As yourself shouldn't just be one night... although we are 'poor college students'. That's no excuse, however.

    ReplyDelete