Friday, June 12, 2009

Different Side of Kenya

For the past couple days, I've been able to experience the rural lifestyle of Kenya. Again, thanks to connections with Sharon's family, I boarded a bus to Kericho, which is her home town. The ride was long, but not as long as the bus to Mombasa. After visiting the teacher's college that Patrick lectures at, I visited his home. It was really interesting to see Patrick's daughter's reaction when she saw me. It was Faith's first time seeing a mzungu, and initially, she backed away. Eventually she settled in my lap, and was ok with me. Patrick then took me to a more rural town, where I have been staying with a Pastor's family.

Pastor Kuley and his wife runs two schools, where a little more than half the students board. To help provide food and also jobs, the family also runs a small scale farm. The first day with the family I visited the classrooms, and saw how the school is run. The second day, I visited the farm.

When I was younger and described my idea of heaven, I imagined rolling mountains, and endless amounts of greenery. There would be lush trees, clean air, and clear blue skies. Well, where I have been staying is the place. Every morning I've woken up to birds singing, the sun shining bright in my face. The pollution and exhaust from vehicles that exist in Nairobi are no longer in the rural areas. The only hard part has been the squatter toilets, but I have mastered the art of using them! Honestly, this new skill has not been learned by choice, but rather I had to. I knew that I couldn't just not use the bathroom for 3-4 days, so the next morning I tiptoed to the toilet door. I opened it and stared for a few minutes. Then I decided that I had to learn how to get over my qualms and now I am ok with these.

Every morning I've been greeted by such cheerful faces, full of love and stories. I've told them about my home, and he has exchanged other stories in return. I really like it here. I've learned to make Ugali, chapatti, and how they cook kale--a vegetable that my mom and I have wondered how to get rid of the bitter taste. It has lots of calcium. Yesterday, I hoed out weeds among the nepia grass(cow feed) and even milked a cow! Not that I was good at it, but I tried!

Today I took an hour matatu ride to Kisumu and got to see Lake Victoria. I got really sick of getting hassled, and I've just begun ignoring glue-smelling boys asking for money. I think after this visit to the internet cafe, I'm going to the museum here. Along with matatus and busses, they have touk-touks, which are motorcycles transformed to funciton as cars. It's quite a sight, two wheels in back, one in the front, a rattley cage to sit in. I just might try riding in one to get to the museum.

Tomorrow, I leave for Eldoret. This is something I'm really looking forward to, because it is where all the Olympic Kenyan runners train. I don't know if I'll meet any runners or not, but just getting to do so will be amazing. And how do I get to go to Eldoret? BEcause Sharon's other sister lives there! I'm so excited.

Well I'm off now. Mercy, Pastor Sammy's daughter, and I have spent enough time on the computer. I'll only be online a couple more times before I go home. Eldoret, here I come!

Becky

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are well and have a rural life experience in Kenya. I always pray for you coming home safely.
    Appa from home.

    ReplyDelete